Tips from the IRS for Dealing with Notices
According to the IRS, millions of letters and notices are sent to taxpayers each year for any number of reasons.
Below are a few things to keep in mind if you receive a notice:
• Don’t panic.
• Read carefully to understand why you are receiving the notice.
• If the IRS is changing your tax return, compare the changes to your copy of the return.
• If you agree with the notice, follow the instructions listed.
• If you disagree with the notice, send a written explanation with backup documentation stating your position.
• Keep copies of notices received and any additional correspondence with your tax records.
• The IRS only sends notices and letters via mail. They never contact taxpayers about their tax account or tax return by email.
Also, remember that we are here to assist you. Feel free to contact us for assistance in addressing any notices you may receive.