Tax Return Checklist

What do I need to bring when I am having my taxes prepared?

  • Following is a list of the more common items you should bring if you have them.
  • Wage statements (Form W-2)
  • Pension, or retirement income (Forms 1099-R)
  • Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
  • Last year's tax return
  • Information on education expenses
  • Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds
  • Self-employed business income and expenses
  • Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
  • State refund amount
  • Social Security and/or unemployment income
  • Income and expenses from rentals
  • Record of purchase or sale of real estate
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Real estate and personal property taxes
  • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
  • Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
  • Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • Job-related educational expenses
  • Child care expenses and provider information And any other items that you think may be necessary for your taxes.

Breaking News

November 12, 2013

The IRS has modified some of the rules for Section 125 Cafeteria Plans. One of the biggest modifications will be to the “use it or lose it” rules for Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs). Employers may amend their Plan to allow up to $500 of unused funds remaining at the end of the plan year to be paid or reimbursed to plan participants for qualified medical expenses incurred in the following plan year. In order for the funds to be carried over, the Plan must also amend the rules regarding the Plan’s grace period. The carryover does not affect the maximum amount of salary deferral.


Employers are encouraged to contact their Health Insurance Brokers for assistance in making these changes.


Further details and examples are given in Internal Revenue Notice 2013-71.

Click here to read more.